Sunday 9 September 2018

Returning to quilt making

Without realising what was happening, I seem to have taken the summer off from the sewing room. Commissions for quilts have been completed, then no more appeared so I sat in the garden, well actually I did quite a lot of gardening too. I read books and took a watercolour painting course. We decorated two rooms in the house and visited people we hadn't seen for ages. We went to a wedding and also sat at the bedside of a dying friend and wept. It has been a strange time and one for many considerations and the counting of blessings. Then Google sent me a message to ask if I still wanted to carry on with the blog and it made me realise how long it has been since I wrote a new post or made a new quilt. 
So here I am again and here is my first quilt of the autumn. It has been made for our own personal small petrol head who hero worships Lightning Mcqueen from the Disney films....


Race Car Quilt by Green Star Quilts
I quilted it in a straight grid 2.5 inches wide. There are a few wobbles, it is ages since I used the walking foot and guide and I need to practice! Looking at this photo makes me think it needs more lines of quilting as it looks a bit saggy. The backing fabric is a upcycled duvet cover with his favourite character in larger than life and full colour:

Race Car Quilt by Green Star Quilts
At the top of the quilt I have added a vintage fabric badge I found in my sewing box, I can't remember where it can from but it was just the right thing. I stitched it on with machine double blanket stitch which helped to cover up a few marks on the edges.... 

Race Car Quilt by Green Star Quilts
The edges are bound with a plain navy fabric. I know the quilt will be on his bed within minutes of him seeing it!

Race Car Quilt by Green Star Quilts
This winter I want to make more quilts from fabrics in the sewing room. Some will be for a charity like Project Linus UK which donates quilts to children in need of an extra cuddle. Others will be for sale on the website initially and I am thinking of opening an Etsy shop too. If you have experience of this please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you. Has it worked for you? Please let me know.
Today I am linking with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts, I'm so glad she is back after the summer holiday. Thank you for reading this, I hope you are still visiting me even after such a long break,
Kindest regards,
Sue 

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Welcome back to blogging!! Do you feel relieved to be back at the sewing machine? I'm sure your "little petrol head" will be thrilled with his new quilt!!