Saturday 13 January 2018

Fairies, Flowers and Butterflies Quilt for 2018

I am so late in wishing everyone a Happy New year. I hope I can still do so, I blame the horrid flu which struck me down just after Christmas and still lingered on with an incredible tiredness thing for many days. Now I am back in the sewing room, still with the need for the occasional afternoon snooze, but basically feeling a lot better. Note to self: have the flu jab earlier next winter!
Enough moaning, along with coughing and general snuffling.... here is the first quilt for 2018. It is a single bed size and the theme is Fairies, Flowers and Butterflies, and it is such a pretty quilt! The colours have been chosen by the new owner Elen who will be seven years old next week.

Fairies, flowers and butterflies quilt by Green Star Quilts
I started drawing my design with my usual big stars in each corner, then divided up the other blocks so each 6.5 or 12 inch square has it's own character.

Fairies, flowers and butterflies quilt by Green Star Quilts

 I use lots of different fabrics and lay the blocks out on the floor if it is a big quilt or on the design wall ( that's an flannel sheet hung up) if it is a smaller quilt.
     
 
Fairies, flowers and butterflies quilt by Green Star Quilts
It is so exciting as the quilt blocks are made and I can see how it is all working out...

Fairies, flowers and butterflies quilt by Green Star Quilts
The flower fairy fabric is by Malcom Miller from the original drawing by Cecelie Mary Barker. This fabric is so pretty and has gold glitter too!
Here is the finished quilt:

Fairies, flowers and butterflies quilt by Green Star Quilts
Next I am going to make my first Project Linus quilt for 2018. I am attempting to make one each month, partly as a scrap buster, my scraps are way out of control, but mostly because these quilts bring a tiny bit of joy to a family who have a poorly child and are so worried about the future. 
My other resolution is to blog regularly. Things have slipped, good intentions wobbled and a good friend even asked if I had given up writing. That's a shame as I really enjoy writing the blog and reading the words from you too. 
So I wish you all joy in 2018 and some very happy quilting,

Kind regards,
Sue 




5 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I feel sure that Elen will be absolutely THRILLED with her sweet new quilt!!

Donna J said...

What a beautiful quilt. Someone is going to treasure it for years to come.

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Thank you Donna, it's a very PINK quilt, just the thing for a little girl who is keen on fairies! Maybe I will be asked to make a purple and black one for her when she is a teenager!

Sandy said...

What a lucky little girl! It is so sweet!

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Thank you Sandy, I seem to have a lot of pink in my fabric stash and this quilt has used up a small amount! The fairies fabric was also used for a little skirt made for my personal family fairy expert who is aged six, it is such gorgeous fabric too.