Thursday 12 October 2017

A Memory Wedding Quilt

This week I have a new commission from Louise. It is such a lovely thing to be asked to make ....  She has sent me the wedding wraps used at her brother's wedding and I am going to make them into  a happy memory quilt. The wraps are gorgeous colours, each one woven in two shades and they have the most marvellous tassles too. Really I am quite excited about the tassles! And strippy edges too!  I hope to be able to add the tassles to the ends of the quilt... Here are the wraps, which I think are cotton and ethnic in design:

Wraps for a quilt by Green Star Quilts
I am thinking about a design, Louise says their house is decorated in a modern style, so I am thinking about that and have been looking through my favourite modern quilting books....
Here is the first idea, a design from No scrap Left Behind by Amanda Jean Nyberg , I am a huge fan of Amanda Jean and this is her new book which I reccommend massively.... I have drawn out the design in the colours of the wraps:


Green Star Quilts drawing
The second idea would to weave the fabric colours in a similar way to this picture from 
Modern Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman, another brilliant modern quilt maker who writes really good instructions too.
Modern Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman,
The third inspiration comes from Quilting Modern by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson

Quilting Modern by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson
Big blocks of colour in randon sizes and colour combinations. I hope to use the patterned edges of the wraps too, amybe around the edges of the quilt.

Well, what do you think? The fabrics are quite loosely woven, so the design can't be complicated and I want it to look modern.... any ideas welcome from my lovely internet blog friends...

Have a good week quilting, maybe reading, or working, lots of gardening, looking after your families, cooking, thinking , oh not much time for thinking.... and I keep telling myself, try not to worry so much about things going on in the world,

Kindest regards,
Sue 








2 comments:

grammajudyb said...

I am anxious to see what you decide. Very courageous, in my opinion. Good luck.

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Thank you, the fabrics are quite loosely woven so will need careful handling, more photos next week,
Sue